The Basics of Black Mold Removal

No Comments

A general overview of the variables involved in a mold problem, and what you need to know when considering black mold removal.

Have you ever gone into a bathroom or basement and smelled a musty odor? It is most likely that someone hasn’t taken precautions in preventing the growth of mold and mildew. Engaging in black mold removal can be a tedious process, but in many cases it isn’t impossible. It will depend upon many factors including your personal abilities, safety equipment, possible allergic reactions, and your access to the mold. Knowledge is power; here are a few things you should know before making any decisions about a DIY mold removal process.

Black Mold…What is it?

Black mold, typically known as Stachybotrys atra, is the most commonly found black mold. Typically found in areas of high humidity such as basements, near or in leaking water pipes, showers, and laundry rooms. It is a fungus that grows well in these types of environments. In its early stages of development it doesn’t pose much of a threat at all, but as it matures it can be very deadly. In the beginning stages, mold is typically yellow in appearance, but as it matures the color will change to a green, brown, and blackish color. This is when you must be very careful to ensure the health of your family. At this point, removal is a necessity for your family’s health.

Is Black Mold Removal Dangerous?

For those with some basic equipment, black mold removal shouldn’t be too dangerous. If you don’t have a mask to keep the mold spores out of your airway, you could actually be doing yourself more harm than good. Proper safety apparel should be worn at all times including non-reactive gloves. Since a variety of chemicals could be used, make sure you have containers that will not cause chemical reactions. Never mix chemicals together and as always, when diluting chemicals with water, make sure the water is cold and always add the chemical to the water, not the other way around. If you add the chemical to the water and there is a splash, chances are the liquid being splashed out is water and not the chemical.

Removal Technique

Typically, the most used chemical in black mold removal is chlorine bleach. Mix 2 cups of bleach into one gallon of water. This will make the chemical strong enough to kill the mold. Depending upon the surface that is being cleaned you may require a stiff scrub brush that will never be used for anything else. For surfaces such as cement, drywall, brick, or wood the scrub brush will work well. Be careful to not get drywall too wet as it will begin to deteriorate. Dip the brush into the water and then scrub away at the mold. Make sure you are wearing your mask, eye protection, and gloves to protect you from both the bleach and the mold. When you have removed the mold from the surface it is a good idea to fill a spray bottle with the same mixture solution of water and bleach and lightly spray the surface and then wipe with a dry towel to prevent mold growing in the future.

GRAND RAPIDS MOLD REMEDIATION PROS

3295 Woodward Ave SW #7
Wyoming MI 49509

Phone: (616) 200-7774

http://www.grandrapidsmoldremediation.com

Categories: Uncategorized

Reasons Why You Should Hire a Professional Mold Removal Experts

No Comments

Breathing excessive amounts of mold can result in allergic reactions, asthma attacks, and infections. Individuals can attempt mold removal on their own; however, having a professional mold remediation company handle the job can be the best option.

Individuals are exposed to mildew every day, whether one is indoors or outdoors; spores naturally exists everywhere. It would be a practical impossibility to eradicate mildew, which would unbalance the environment even if it were possible. However, because inhaling spores in large numbers can cause illness such as allergic reactions, asthma attacks, and infectious diseases; cleaning spores from indoor environments is a practical possibility that will allow people to live healthier lives.

Home Inspection For Irritant Sources

The best method for determining if you have a spore problem in your home is by hiring a professional testing company. Mold testing can uncover toxigenic spores from areas such as behind wall paper, on sub-flooring, air conditioning ducts, and on attic sheathing. While doing it yourself is always an option; the necessary equipment, testing procedures, and understanding of what the tests mean can be frightfully expensive and will require time that you might not have in your busy life. A professional home inspection team will test your home’s air, take swabs and tape lift samples, use equipment such as a borescope (an optical device used to inspect hard to get at places) and do moisture mapping, thermal imaging, and a relative humidity check to determine if your home needs mildew remediation work.

Being Safe When Doing Mold Testing And Inspections

Not only is the proper equipment expensive to procure and time consuming to learn how to operate, individuals may not protect themselves properly when they are looking for mildew in their homes. Mold testing professionals are aware of the health risks associated with exposure to large amounts of spores and protect themselves by using breathing masks and wearing protective clothing to make sure mildew won’t enter into their air passageways, which can cause chronic breathing problems, and won’t settle on their skin, which can lead to uncomfortable rashes and other skin ailments.

Understanding Mold Removal

When elevated levels of mildew are found, the goal for mold removal is to eliminate as many sources as possible. A professional removal team will clean the air, wipe down surfaces where spores have accumulated, apply antimicrobial treatments so that mildew will be less likely to grow again, dispose of items that cannot be cleaned, clean and treat ventilation systems, and achieve a successful clearance test; which might not be possible for individuals who choose to do it for themselves.

Choosing A Professional For Mold Removal

You and your family’s health could be at risk by having large amounts of spores circulating in your home. Individuals can look for the hidden sources of mildew in their homes; however, it can be prohibitively expensive to purchase the necessary equipment and potentially dangerous for the do it yourself person. Mold testing experts have the necessary testing and removal equipment, know how to protect themselves from risks of being in contact with spores , and have undergone a variety of certification programs that allow them to economically and safely free your home of this health risk.

Categories: Uncategorized

How Harmful Can Black Mold Be To Your Health?

No Comments

Black mold is a dangerous fungus that can harmful to both your home and your health. Because it is often hard to determine the specific genus of mold, it is best to treat all contaminated areas carefully and safely. Here is some of the most important information to arm yourself with, when it comes to mold removal and your health.

Even though black mold is one of the most dangerous and poisonous molds, the health risks that all molds carry with them are mostly the same. With different types, varieties and colors that can affect your health in different ways, some molds can be more harmful as compared to others. The quantity of molds present in the affected area also affects the level of adversity of the health effects. The way the black mold affects health is also hugely dependant on the ages of the people who reside in the area.

With less resistance and immunity as compared to younger people, children and old people are more vulnerable to the harmful effects of molds. Inhalation, dermal contact and ingestion are some of the many ways that an individual can be exposed to these molds.

Due to exposure to molds, most people experience various types of allergies. Sneezing, coughing, watery eyes and throat irritation are few of the symptoms that point to allergies. A disturbance in your central nervous system can also cause a lack of ability to focus on different things. Headache and dizziness are also common in those who experience mold effects.

The spores that are released into the air by the molds are causing many health problems nowadays. A musty odor is a clear indication of the presence of mold in your house. Do you experience stuffiness during breathing when you sleep at night? Is there a lot of humidity in your house and was there ever a previous leak in the plumbing? If yes then your house is prone to black mold.

This is an important issue, because the more you begin inhaling the toxic mold the more the spores will amplify in the system. Do not be alarmed! The mold in your system can be greatly reduced by going out and getting some fresh air. The new oxygen in the blood will speed up the breaking down of the mold spores in the system. This is how one can stay healthy and keep his immunity system clean even when there is a mold problem. If you have mold in your house, try to get rid of it as soon as possible.

http://premiermoldremoval.com

Black mold illness is one of the typical invasive diseases. This means that people with low immunity are also mostly diagnosed with diseases such as HIV/AIDS and Cancer. The black mold disease takes advantage of this opportunity and attacks the immune system. Therefore, it is necessary that you always keep an eye out for allergic symptoms if you have an infestation. By repairing any damaged leakages and surfaces exposed to moisture, you can create a clean environment, and with this type of environment , you can avoid the health risks due to mold sickness.

Categories: Uncategorized